Monday, December 19, 2011

Simplicity

I keep wondering what it is that makes us so prone to get away from everything.  It would seem that for me, it is the slowing down from all the different ways I run when I go about my day to day activities at home.  Already in the four hours we have been back, I have unpacked all my clothes, the food, eaten dinner, unloaded the dishwasher, gone to the grocery, and made a dessert to take to a dinner tomorrow evening. 

What I enjoyed most about my days at the beach is not feeling compelled to be the energizer bunny, but to just sit back and enjoy all the special sights that God gifts me.  Gifts I received yesterday included sighting dolphin many different times all during the day as well as walking on the beach and picking up many imperfect shells.  It thrills me to see the dolphin frolic about in such a carefree manner!  Then to close my day, the magnificent sunset with shades of orange and red mingled with grey clouds just gave me complete serenity!  So I conclude it is what most of us consider the simple things that give pleasure.  

This morning I read an entry in the guest book I signed for the owners of the 500 sq. ft. studio we rented.  This person made a case for how much stuff we have that keeps us from living so simply.  We had all the necessities to get by for weeks...maybe even for a lifetime.  We were carefree and did what we wanted, when we wanted.  Now it is back to our "reality" of responsibities.

In the new year I plan to add more simplicity to my life.  I am backing off from working as I have.  I want to have more time to sit, ponder, and continue my musings.  Tonight, I wish you all simple pleasures that permeate your souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment