Sunday, December 25, 2011

Memories are Made of These

Today has been a mixed bag for me.  Dennis gave me the gift of music, a Statler Brothers Christmas album digitally mixed to play as we went to church and then to Laura, Louis, and Elle's home for a late Christmas Brunch.  It brings back so many memories of travel throughout the Christmases past as we trecked home to Nashville to be with our parents who were probably younger than we when we first started this tradition.  As the old songs played, it brought back pictures of years past with Mom and me sitting in her beloved blue velvet chairs around the Christmas tree as we kind of watched in the background as the rest of the family sat on couches and loveseats talking and laughing as each gift was exchanged.  Mom and I both shared the quiet solitude and enjoyment of letting others take the spotlight.  I miss those times.

When they sing "The Greatest Christmas Present", it reminds me so of Dennis' dad or Dadoo as Nick dubbed him when he was barely talking.  The name stuck and all the grandchilden and daughters-in-law began the tradition of his new name.  I am not sure that he really enjoyed that name, but so like him, he never complained.  I hope he felt the love and respect we all had for him.  The song reminds me of him because part of the lyrics say, "We'll buy Daddy a new tie....we'll buy Daddy another tie."  I like to hope that we were more original in our gifts for him, but I think we did buy him a lot of ties through the years.  He's been gone for a long time now.

So, as the memories ran through my mind with all the songs of old, the tears started streaming as I missed them both so very much. 

But like the photo above, we are now part of the memories shared with our children.  Nick and Christian were missing today...in a perfect world, we would have all been together.  Oh, how we did enjoy being with Laura, Louis, and Elle first at their home and then at our home for the traditional turkey dinner.  Elle is spending the night with us; she informed her parents that she wanted to spend two nights with us.  Guess what; that is absolutely fine with us!

For tonight, I wish you fond memories of your loved ones past and present!

No comments:

Post a Comment