Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Heros and Hope

My friend Deb is coming once again today to Vanderbilt to have tests to see if she can have another stem cell transplant.  We did the first a couple of years ago.  I say we because I was given the honor of being her 24/7 care giver.  I learned so much during this time.  I was allowed to watch as they harvested her stem cells.  It did not seem nearly as scary as I would have thought, but she did get very cold.  I guess when all of your blood leaves your body and is run through a centrifuge, it does make one a bit chilled.  This second time she will have the self transplant and within 90 days, come again with a sister who is a donor match to get more healthy stem cells.  But....her multiple myoloma must be wiped clean before she can do it.  Last time it did not seem as hard to contain as it has been this time.  She is my hero for her fight in this battle!

I was speaking with a customer whom I have become friendly with last week at Gaslamp.  Her sister-in-law at a young age is battling the same disease.  I had shared with her about my friend Deb when she first told me the news.  We together agreed that heros are made by the sheer determination and grit they posses as they battle such horid situations.

Heros do not have to fight in an overseas combat zone.  They live in a combat zone daily as they must pump their bodies with chemo or radiation.  Often they loose their hair, their appetite, and their energy.  They inspire those of us who watch them march with a battle plan for victory!  Some are not given much hope, but they still do everything possible to overcome this villian, Cancer.

Many of us do not know how to approach someone with this dreaded disease.  I remember when my mom was first diagnosed; she told me that she was surprised (and a bit hurt) that most of her friends had not called her.  The best way I have found is to just be honest and tell the person that we love them and are in their corner with prayer.  Somehow knowing that so many are lifting them up in prayer seems to give them the determination to keep charging the enemy.  It gives them the hope they need.

Praying that today you will be able to see the true heros and give them hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment