Wednesday, July 11, 2012

A phone call

Early this morning I saw a post from one of Debbie's children to keep all of them in our prayers.  I knew that Debbie must be taking a turn for her transition.  I messaged her sister and received a short reply that she indeed was worse and that she was sorry but she was very busy.  I began praying that her transition to the next life would be gentle.  I am reminded so often of the song, "Lead Me Gently Home, Father."

A couple of hours later my phone rang.  The caller ID said Deb.  I answered expecting it to be from one of the family members.  Imagine my surprise when I heard her voice.  What a wonderful conversation we shared as she wanted to tell me thank you before it is too late.  We laughed some, we cried.  I told her no one had fought harder than she has, but that it is okay to not keep fighting.  I love her like a sister.  We laughed as I spouted off her birthday date as we had to do so often when we were together for her stem cell transplant.

Debbie has requested that I pray for her arms to stop hurting.  The cancer she has is so painful, multiple myoloma.  I told her that I am also praying for a gentle transition.  It was okay for me to tell her that...she wants to go to sleep and wake up on the other side.

Amidst my tears, I wish my dear friend/sister Godspeed.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you got to talk to her and share tears and laughter. I will keep her in my prayers also.

    ReplyDelete